Monday, March 7, 2011

Tweet, Tweet!








I love working with knits! It's completely different than working with wovens, and to be honest, it's a little scary until you have some experience.  This is because you use completely different methods with knits than with wovens.  I just got interested in working in knit about a year ago and now I'm in the middle of creating my MFA thesis show, which is ALL knit garments.  Sometimes, though, I need a break from the complexity of what I do for professional work and I make things for little Miss Heidi Sage.  I found these cute knits and made her some adorable little dresses to wear with her leggings.  Heidi Sage really likes animals, so she has a good time telling people about the little birdies on these dresses.

For the dress I used the Go To Dress pattern from Andrea at The Train to Crazy.  You should check her out, she has great ideas and some free patterns!  While I didn't use the pattern exactly as she created it, I did start with her pattern and wanted to give her credit for her great idea.

This dress is very similar to Andrea's pattern, I simply removed the empire elastic casing and added a cute little pocket for Heidi Sage to carry around her treasures.

On this dress I also started with Andrea's pattern but I eliminated the gathers at the neckline to make the dress more fitted.  I also eliminated the shoulder ruffle and added contrast bands at the sleeve opening and the hem.  I also added a little kangaroo patch pocket.


I really like making kids clothes because you can get really cute results without reinventing the wheel.  I typically don't take the time to create complete new patterns for kids, I simply start with a stock pattern and make some simple modifications to get a new look!  Make sure you check out Andrea at The Train to Crazy and get your own copy of the Go To Dress pattern.


Linking to...

MakingThe Girl Creative Keeping It Simple

3 Shout Outs:

Camille

Very cute! Love them!
visiting from www.allaboutmommies.blogspot.com

Kelly @livingcraftilyeverafter

Very cute!!! I love that fabric and your little one is a doll! :)

Stopping by from Skip to my Lou! I would love for you to stop by and enter my first ever giveaway!

http://livingcraftilyeverafter.blogspot.com/2011/03/drum-roll-please

Kelly

Thiruppathy Raja

Excellent information provided by this blog.
Kids Clothes