Monday, February 28, 2011

Boy Inspired Onesies

When you go shopping for onesies do you ever feel like your seeing the same puppy dog and sports-themed gear in every. single. store?  It's not too hard to customize your own onesies for your little guy.  Or, of course, to show up to the next baby shower with a gift that NO ONE else will have.

Here's a few boy onesies I've been working on lately for my newest grandson, Rex, and my newest great nephew, Tyson.

Items needed:
Pattern (I used McCalls 3171)
Knit fabric (in colors of your liking)
Wonder under
Thread (to coordinate with your fabric)
Onesies*

Trace your patterns. Cut your pieces out and peel off the paper from the backside.  Be sure when peeling that the sticky part of the wonder under stays attached to the fabric.

I ironed the back fin on first and stitched it down.

Next I ironed on the body and stitched it down.

Then ironed on the legs and stitched them to the onesies.

Added a wiggly eye and some pants. 

Items Needed for Bull & Cement Truck Onesies:
Onesie*
Knit (in desired colors)
Wonder Under
Pattern (pieced mine together from an online clip art)
Thread (to coordinate with your fabric)


Trace pattern.

Cut out pieces.  Iron the face, eyes, mouth and nostrils together.  Stitch around the nostrils with pink and around the eyes and with brown.

Iron horns on onsies and stitch around them.

Iron face to onesie and stitch around the face and nose with brown.

Add some wiggly eyes and some matching pants.

And here's my little Rex sporting his new Bull Onesie at the zoo.  Doesn't he looked thrilled???


As mentioned above for the cement truck onesie you need the same materials and follow the pictures for the steps.






*All the onesies were purchased at Wal-mart.

**UPDATED:  Looks like we'll be GIVING ONE AWAY.**

Happy Appliqueing, 

Linking to...
Today's Creative Blog

7 Shout Outs:

Lee Ann

These are really cute! Great ideas for little boys!!

http://lamarkham.blogspot.com

Anonymous

I'm on my way to see Tyson today, so I will finally get to see his outfits in person.

Can't wait.

Becky

GG With A Twist of Lime

That pattern is old! I made my son a dinosaur shirt from that pattern for his 4th birthday and he is now 30!!!

Stephanie

This is too cute. Thanks for the tutorial.

Homemade Heather

Seriously?!?! The cow - so cute! Thanks for sharing - come by and say HI sometime!

Emily Thompson

So adorable! I have two boys and these are great ideas. I make lots of onsies for shower gifts as well. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren @ Love, Water and Wine

How cute! And your model is adorable too!